Thursday, October 18, 2007

Mindfulness

"Mindfulness is loving all the details of our lives, and awareness is the natural thing that happens: life begins to open up, and you realize that you're always standing at the center of the world." - Pema Chodron, Awakening Loving Kindness

Do you feel like you have no time to get everything done? No time for yourself? I'm reading this book on active spirituality. I don't meditate or journal because I never make time for it, although it is very useful to me. I find myself in other activities-- playing guitar, running, cycling... but sometimes being still is good. You are not distracted by anything.

How do we find more time? the book makes this suggestion, and I'm going to do it too. For a week, write down everything you do during waking hours and how much time you spend. Our perception is that we are busy busy busy. Add up the hours you spend on each activity each week, whether it be emailing, watching TV, showering, talking on the phone, etc. I think it will be enlightening to see where I could easily make time. I know personally that I spend way too much time on my computer chatting with friends online, checking email, etc. Let's do it together!

No comments: